I lied. I was indeed stymied by another 'niet mogelijk' prior to Thursday. On Tuesday afternoon our relocation agent whisked me over to our semi-neighborhood ABN Amro to open an account. We had barely been seated when my passport raised the eyebrows of our banker. "American?" Furtive glances across the desk. It seems a recent policy prevents ABN from opening accounts for Americans (later clarified as those owning property, but still no dice for me...). This was due to the stock market or currency fluctuations, or perhaps the sub-prime crisis, though it's not clear which... But rack up another for niet mogelijk!
Friday, February 8, 2008
Spanked by the Bank
I lied. I was indeed stymied by another 'niet mogelijk' prior to Thursday. On Tuesday afternoon our relocation agent whisked me over to our semi-neighborhood ABN Amro to open an account. We had barely been seated when my passport raised the eyebrows of our banker. "American?" Furtive glances across the desk. It seems a recent policy prevents ABN from opening accounts for Americans (later clarified as those owning property, but still no dice for me...). This was due to the stock market or currency fluctuations, or perhaps the sub-prime crisis, though it's not clear which... But rack up another for niet mogelijk!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment