As a Dutch friend explained, Queen's Day is the only day people can have a garage sale. People are allowed to set up a table on the sidewalk, no permit needed, and sell whatever. No one is allocated a space, you simply go out and claim your own. As early as the previous Friday, we saw spaces being carved out on the sidewalk with masking tape and chalk. Given the population density here, no one really has garages, driveways, or front yards that would support such a sale.
In addition, I had noticed our shopping street (the Beethovenstraat) festooned with yellow balloons. I thought it strange since orange is the national color, but didn't think too much about it. That night I learned that the city of Amsterdam had carved out color-coded routes for people to take so that they wouldn't get lost. The yellow route included Beethovenstraat.
Below you can see that someone named Ellen reserved this spot.
1 comment:
bigger than Christmas? that's crazy talk!
Post a Comment