Holland has a Memorial Day, but it took place on May 4th. It's called Remembrance of the Dead Day. May 5th is Liberation Day. On May 4th this year, the family and I returned from an afternoon at the beach. We got back right before 8PM to find all the car spaces taken and even cars parked on the sidewalk. We saw people rushing off and there were several members of the Jewish community among them. I asked Dan if he could think of a Jewish holiday taking place, but he couldn't. We started walking in the direction of the people and I asked a passerby what was happening. She stated that it was Remembrance Day. We had expected the ceremonies to take place the next day.
Anyway, the passerby explained that everyone had gathered at the local memorial at 8PM to observe the two minutes of silence. On this day, many people spend the two minutes watching the queen in Dam Square or gathering around the Dockworkers' Statue. Many locals, however, go to their local memorial.
No comments:
Post a Comment