Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Everyday Elements

Monday was a holiday here, so we went out to Rotterdam for a barbecue hosted by some new friends that we met through a friend from the University of Iowa. They were fantastic hosts and laid out a tasty spread. We all took a good walk towards the end of the day to the Kralinsge Bos, site of a 1970 music festival. The weather had been capricious all weekend, but our walk took the cake! It was gorgeous when we set off. When we got to the turnaround point, we looked up to see low, dark, gray clouds. We were suddenly pelted with hail that resembled tiny styrofoam balls. This lasted until we returned to our hosts' home and then it stopped. The drive back to Amsterdam was rainy, but otherwise uneventful.

Regarding a previous post, I received an inquiry about buskers. According to Merriam-Webster's online, a busker is "a person who entertains in a public place for donations." I have no idea if a permit is needed to do this. As I had mentioned in the post, I fantasized about doing this when in Montpellier. What my contribution to local color would have been remains in question, since I do not have any performing arts skills. Below are some pictures of buskers in Dam Square. One practical issue regarding busking was brought up to me by the owner of the English Bookshop in Montpellier. The change can become too heavy to transport.


No comments: