One common thing to eat here is herring. I had heard about how herring is sold by street vendors all over the place, but I didn't come across one until yesterday. I ordered a herring sandwich. It is served raw, with onions. It was really good and I'll have it again. I like sardines, sprats, and raw herring, but have always eaten them on crackers. So it struck me as strange to me to eat raw fish on bread.
Today I came across a conveyor in action. The conveyors are used to transport items into homes, rather than have the movers face uncertain and treacherous Dutch staircases. Since this has always been an issue, most Dutch buildings are built with large windows by which the items can enter. An alternative to the conveyor is a pulley system. You will see hooks at the top of most Dutch buildings to facilitate this. And in extreme cases, a crane. The other day, a giant crane came to our neighborhood and I suspect it brought a piano to an apartment across the street from a courtyard-facing window. I saw the movers move a piano in through a front door and then the crane immediately lowered the hook into the courtyard.
Below find the crane and the piano.
1 comment:
they need that conveyor here for people that have 2 story homes, or live in upper level apartments! how great that would be
Post a Comment