Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of drama with Rocky on Tuesday. That morning, Rocky was coughing. At first we thought he had a hairball, but then we noticed that he was foaming at the mouth. I was worried that he had swallowed on of the girls' toys. Dan brought Rocky to a pet hospital (dierenziekenhuis). The doctor discovered fluid on Rocky's lungs and immediately put him into an oxygen cage. Later on they took x-rays and an ultrasound and diagnosed Rocky with cardiomyopathy. Luckily, this condition can be treated with a twice daily dose of medicine. The staff advised that if Rocky had come not in, he may very well have passed away that day. We had noticed that Rocky seemed quite a bit mellower once we arrived. I'm not now sure whether it was because of change of scenery or if it was just a symptom of his heart condition. Anyway, Rocky has gotten back to his refrigerator perch since coming home, so this is a good sign.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
The Cats
As you know, Rocky (black cat) and Booberry (gray cat) have accompanied us to Amsterdam. They've both been adjusting really well to our house. I think it's a combination of all the windowsills and perpetual light from the outside.
Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of drama with Rocky on Tuesday. That morning, Rocky was coughing. At first we thought he had a hairball, but then we noticed that he was foaming at the mouth. I was worried that he had swallowed on of the girls' toys. Dan brought Rocky to a pet hospital (dierenziekenhuis). The doctor discovered fluid on Rocky's lungs and immediately put him into an oxygen cage. Later on they took x-rays and an ultrasound and diagnosed Rocky with cardiomyopathy. Luckily, this condition can be treated with a twice daily dose of medicine. The staff advised that if Rocky had come not in, he may very well have passed away that day. We had noticed that Rocky seemed quite a bit mellower once we arrived. I'm not now sure whether it was because of change of scenery or if it was just a symptom of his heart condition. Anyway, Rocky has gotten back to his refrigerator perch since coming home, so this is a good sign.
Rocky
Booberry
Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of drama with Rocky on Tuesday. That morning, Rocky was coughing. At first we thought he had a hairball, but then we noticed that he was foaming at the mouth. I was worried that he had swallowed on of the girls' toys. Dan brought Rocky to a pet hospital (dierenziekenhuis). The doctor discovered fluid on Rocky's lungs and immediately put him into an oxygen cage. Later on they took x-rays and an ultrasound and diagnosed Rocky with cardiomyopathy. Luckily, this condition can be treated with a twice daily dose of medicine. The staff advised that if Rocky had come not in, he may very well have passed away that day. We had noticed that Rocky seemed quite a bit mellower once we arrived. I'm not now sure whether it was because of change of scenery or if it was just a symptom of his heart condition. Anyway, Rocky has gotten back to his refrigerator perch since coming home, so this is a good sign.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was wondering how your cats were doing. Poor Rocky! Bob has hyperthyroid, so he needs medicine 2X per day also (gel applied inside his ear) so I can sympathize with the medical treatment regimen.
Yikes! I feel for you guys... this is what Zeus has... but the form in boxers can't be cured... Unfortunately we just had to up his medication because his condition has gotten worse. He looks pretty funny in his halter monitor that he has to wear once a year! Check out the post on our blog: http://supercork.blogspot.com/2008/03/its-that-time-of-year-again.html
Post a Comment