So I was thinking, there were a few things from our trip to England that I forgot to include. One was the breakfast food. A traditional English breakfast usually consists of eggs, beans, toast, sausauge, and a stewed tomato (I think this is it, correct me if I'm wrong). At our daily buffet breakfast in Swindon, there were some new additions, both of which I tried. The first one was deep-fried toast. It basically melted once it hit my tongue. I did not like it too much and wondered, since it was so brittle, how anyone could spread anything on it. The other was black pudding. Anything with pudding must be good, right? Right. It was indeed tasty. However, I couldn't keep eating it because I kept thinking too much about it. Black pudding is made from pig's blood and flour and sort of heated up and swirled around in a pan and then, possibly, put into small molds to make perfect-sized breakfast puddings. I love blood sausage, but somehow I couldn't refraing from thinkging about where the good flavor comes from in black pudding, so I just couldn't finish it. Maybe it was the array of other breakfast items, I don't know.
The UK is known for being an expensive place to visit, particularly for Americans due to the dollar's drastic decline. Anyway, one of the surprisingly cheap things I discovered there were spices! We bought up a bunch of them because the price for them was, at most, 50p ($1)!
I also had a comment about the roundabouts in Swindon. During much of the driving, I would come to an intersection where two streets cut each other to make four right angles. Despite this, there would be some circles in the middle of the intersection, simulating a roundabout. It was bizarre, since the street would otherwise be a conventional intersection. I'm not sure why they couldn't install stop signs or another traffic signal, or make a rule as it is here in Amsterdam - where there are some intersections without stop signs, priority simply goes to who is at right.
I know it must seem like I go to McDonald's a lot, and here is another McDonald's observation. One day while in France, both the girls fell asleep in the car. I used the handy navigational system to bring me to the nearest McDrive so I could get a coffee and read a book until they woke up. While in line, I noticed an item from the McDonald's breakfast menu. It was a pancake with melted emmenthal cheese and bacon. Doesn't that sound good? I never got to try it, but will when I've got the chance. It makes me think of the McDonald's pancakes that I often ate while in Buenos Aires - covered with dulce de leche!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment