Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Geneva Workweek 2

My week got off to an exciting start at the Palais des Nations.

On Monday, Ban Ki-Moon, the UN's Secretary-General came. This is me, with him to my immediate right. As you can see, we are good friends.



I also got to meet Cherie Blair, Tony Blair's wife, who had come to give a speech for her foundation. She was having trouble opening a window and guess who got to help?



That evening, the Swiss Delegation invited everybody to cruise on Lake Geneva. This is a picture of the police escort with the city in the background.


The American delegation lent some of its Robert Rauschenberg collection to the Palais for a retrospective. On Tuesday, we attended a reception for the opening. They set up a podium with none other than the American flag.



On Wednesday, I attended a Toastmasters meeting. I had been a member of La Voz de Oro Toastmasters in Phoenix, but had not attended regularly since the birth of the girls. It was a fun meeting and I would encourage anyone interested in public speaking to check it out.

Thursday night, I met Jessica and her friends at a place called MAD (moulin a dance = dance mill) for some salsa dancing. There were several excellent dancers, but this one had the most memorable outfit.


On Friday, I spotted this peacock out of a window. The City of Geneva has given the UN the land it has for as long as it exists. The City was bequeathed the land from a wealthy resident. One of the conditions put on the land is that peacocks should be allowed to roam freely upon it. I believe there are 7 peacocks on the premises.


Other random UN features - a worldwide clock and a rainbow over Lake Geneva from the bridge that links Palais buildings.

No comments: