Thursday, August 7, 2008

Illinois - week 1

On Monday, July 14th, we flew to Chicago from the Philadelphia Airport. As always, I was very grateful for the play areas installed by the airport authorities. The girls had a great time and it helped them burn off a lot of steam. Since our plane became delayed, they spent a good hour or so running around there.


To give you a background, I am from Carpentersville, Illinois, which is about 35 miles northwest of Chicago. It is one of four villages that make up the Dundee Township, along with East Dundee, West Dundee and Sleepy Hollow. The area, particularly that along the picturesque Fox River, is generally known as Dundee. When I lived there, it was more or less a small town. Today it is a verifiable Chicago suburb.

As it would turn out, a typical day for me involved waking up early and walking along the Fox River with my mom to Starbuck's in West Dundee. After that, I would go home, get the girls ready and head down to the Lavender Cafe for a second round of coffee and to see which friends/family members happened to pass by. [I have several cousins who have several children who all live in the area. Because the town part itself is still small, it we often (happily) run into each other there.] Then, we would bring the girls back home and they would play. Naptime would ensue and then we would find some more activities for the evening.

Anyway, back to the story. We landed at O'Hare in the early afternoon and my parents brought us straight to my favorite taqueria - Taqueria Los Cocos - in East Dundee. I ordered a carne asada & avocado quesadilla and Dan got a gordita. Mexican food is really delicious and something we don't find often here. Oddly, in Phoenix, I never seemed to be able to find Mexican restaurants comparable to the taquerias in my hometown and surrounding area (comparable in terms of style of restaurant). They are really informal places that have a very simple menu and quick service.

We got back to my parents house, regrouped a little bit. My brother Rich was there at the tale end of his summer visit to Illinois, so it was great to see him and his son Max. I was also delighted to meet Stella, my 6-month old niece, for the first time! Unfortunately, Rich's wife Jen had had to go back to California for work.

Within a few hours, people started to arrive for my dad's birthday barbecue. It was great to see so many friends and family right away!

Liliane helping out my dad with the candles.

My crew in Illinois. On left - my friend Sarah. On right - my cousins Chase & Brittany, sister Melinda, & cousin-in-law Pookie



Tuesday morning, we met my mom and her group of cronies at the Roll 'n Donut donut shop in Elgin, Illinois. In my opinion, these are the world's best donuts. Liliane, was thrilled to be there, along with her cousins and my friend Sarah's children.

Afterwards, Dan and I went to visit my friend Veronica who I met when I was in middle school. I couldn't believe how much her kids had grown since I last saw them last year! Liliane and Veronica's son Gavin had a great time watering her outdoor garden and dancing around to music. She was looking great as always!
Liliane did have real clothes.

Tuesday evening, we went to another favorite Mexican restaurant - El Molino. We enjoyed some tasty margaritas. While we were there, our nephew Eric lost his tooth! Despite having six children under age of 5 in tow, the restaurant treated them all to ice cream for dessert.

My parents & all their grandkids.
From left to right: Eric Jr., Jack, Liliane, Max, Amelie & Stella.

We spent Wednesday morning at the Lavender Cafe, where my sister's friend Stephanie popped by. Stephanie is about to move to Maui, so it was good to catch her before she took off. The turrets of a fairy castle that my mom has always admired at another house was moved to our house (the other house had been set for demolition and the owner gave my mom permission). Gnomes inhabit my parents' front yard there, so the fairy castle became a part of their territory.
the fairy castle, in its entirety (turrets in background)

Eric - one tooth less, six dollars richer

That evening, we dined with Melinda, Sarah, and Jason (Sarah's husband) at Sushi Station. At Sushi Station, the sushi encircles you via conveyor and you can just choose your sushi on an as needed basis. At the end, the number & color of your plates are tallied to determine the bill. It was delicious!


On Thursday, my Aunt Pam and cousin Anne-Marie came down from Chicago to visit us. We had lunch with them and with some other friends and relatives at Famous Dave's barbecue restaurant. It was very child friendly and Liliane ended up dancing to the music in the waiting area afterwards.



Friday night, Dan and I went out to Morton's to celebrate our anniversary. The Morton's Summer Special was still in effect, so we took advantage! Although I tried to consume the food with utmost moderation, I still wasn't able to finish my dessert. There was also a giant bottle of wine there, bigger than a Methusaleh. It could serve well over 100 people - I think even more, but I forgot to write down the statistic. I know the pic on the left looks like a pregnancy photo - I simply had a distended stomach from all the food! And I am assuredly not pregnant!


the giant bottle of wine had been sold for $2500

On Saturday morning, Dan, the girls and I headed downtown to Greek Islands to meet up with my friend Marla. Marla moved to Chicago from Washington last year and had never really had a chance to hang out with Dan or meet the girls. Marla was doing well and is engaged to a great guy. I am glad she is in Chicago because I will probably be able to see her more often.

Sunday was Dan's last day with us. There was one place we hadn't visited, so we went. Benedict's is a restaurant that filled a needed void a few years in the Dundee Township - brunchery. Their food is amazing - all of it - and I love the kitchiness of the country decor. Here is some personal trivia - my first job was as a busgirl at a restaurant called Duran's that occupied the same space. Later that evening, we bid Dan adieu at the airport.



You may be noticing that many of our outings involved food! Although we eat well here in Holland, some things are simply not the same! Especially things like a real coffee cake!

No comments: